Maple Cream Pie Recipe
Maple Cream Pie Background
This maple cream pie recipe comes from the wall of the Creamery Restaurant in Danville, VT. Here's what TripAdvisor customers have to say about the Maple Cream Pie.
- If you are lucky to have maple cream pie on the dessert menu, then NEVER pass it up! - FJDriver, Exeter, NH
- The maple cream pie with real whipped cream was the best we've had in Vermont (and we've tried lots of places). - Robert F, Baltimore, MD
- Grandma is now 92 but is still making desserts like last night's maple cream pie. - Betsyssacramento, Sacramento, CA
The Old Farmer's Almanac agrees too, as Marion Beattie's recipe isn't just on the wall of her restaurant, it's also in the Almanac.
Made with Love by Grandma
Grandma at the Creamery Restaurant gets credit for making the best maple pie, however, our Grandma makes one on equal footing. An experienced holiday baker, she has an alternative for those among us who are strapped for time. She cuts about 30 minutes of cook time by utilizing the microwave for cooking the pudding. Easter wouldn't be the same without this dessert recipe in our holiday lineup.
Best Syrup is the Traditional Grade B
This is a simple recipe to make so long as you prep before hand and have the proper ingredients. I like to use Very Strong Dark Taste/Baking maple syrup, previously known as Grade B prior to the new grading system implementation in 2017. The bold flavor of this grade of maple syrup shines over the other ingredients and it wouldn't be the same with a lighter syrup. For this reason, I recommend that a quart or half gallon of maple syrup in the Very Strong Dark Taste/Baking is always kept on hand for delicious recipes requiring a more intense flavor profile.
Easy Maple Cream Pie Recipe
Once your cooked pie crust is cooled and ready, toss all the other ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and mix together. I start with 2, five minute zaps in the microwave followed by a stir after each. It always needs an additional 2 minutes to get the right consistency. If I feel it needs to thicken a tad more, I do two minute intervals with a stir in between. As you go through the microwave cycles your pudding will start to thicken up and take on a shiny appeal.
Depending on the size of the cooked pie crust, there’s always a little left over pudding that doesn’t fit. Don't fret, just cool in a separate dish or use parfait dishes for a nice presentation and garnish with whipped cream and a little drizzle of maple syrup.
Have fun making this easy and decadent pie. Share your photos by emailing them to me, or tagging us on Facebook and Instagram using these hashtags #cbmaplefarm #realmaple4realpeople. I'll include them in the bottom of this post with an acknowledgement. (No last names used).
Maple Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 cooked pie crust
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups Very Dark Strong Taste/Baking
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 heaping Tablespoons of Flour
- 1 dash of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Prepare or purchase a pie crust and bake according to instructions.
2. Mix the next 5 ingredients and microwave on high stirring every five minutes. I do 2-five minute settings, followed by 2 minutes as needed.
3. When the pudding is done cooking add the vanilla and stir.
4. Pour the pudding into the pie crust and cool or top with meringue in step #5.
5. I like to make a meringue with the egg whites. Beat them with 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar. Gradually add 6 Tablespoons of white sugar while beating to stiff, glossy peaks. Spread over hot filling and bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes
6. Cool the pie, cover and store in fridge until ready to serve.
Submit your Pie
Work on your perfect pie and submit yours to the Maple Cooking Contest at the St Albans Maple Festival. If you do make it in, let us know, we're just a 15 minute drive from the festivities and would love to know how you did.